Thursday, June 24, 2010

When does the time come when metaphors and similes are no longer useful in ones’ writing? The answer; when you have been riding through some of the best parts of Utah and Colorado on a Harley and have been in awe the entire time.
This morning I left from Blanding Utah and headed north to Montecelo. From there it was east into Colorado and then down into Durango. The never ending rolling farm land was so beautiful with green fields and dark brown fertile soil. As I drove past what seemed like endless plots of land I couldn’t help but think about the type of person it takes to work the land tirelessly and to have your closet neighbor a mile away. Is it contentment or just the way life worked out for those people? I don’t know but as I roared passed on my Harley I would get the occasional glance like they wanted to be with me for that moment.
It took a couple of hours but I got into Durango. This is a very cool town. Like so many towns in Colorado, they hold fast to the old ‘cowboy’ way and flavor of architecture. It could have been Aspen or Steamboat I was walking through it all has the same natural feeling in the summer.
From there it was north through Silverton and Ouray. Now I have at least a 100,000 motorcycle miles under my belt but I spent a lot of the time on those roads white knuckled and or with a pit in my stomach. The biggest problem wasn’t that the roads were too tough for my riding skills. No, the problem was my rubber necking though all the amazing scenery I rode past. It would scare me when I would try and balance my attention between the profound beauty and the task of keeping my bike on the road.
There were a few times today when I couldn’t help but wish I could have shared this experience with certain people in my life. There have been plenty of moments when being alone on this trip is beyond perfect. I don’t have to worry that I have stopped too many times or for too long, you get the idea. On the other hand, words don’t do much justice to this trip and sometimes a glance between you and the person you are riding with can sum up the entire journey without saying a word. My friend Barry has been texting me throughout the trip. Barry has helped me prepare for this trip with his vast experience. He has posted so many rides on his website, Cyclerides.com. Through his text he said he could see me smiling as I was taking the roads in front of me. I could see the same smile on his face as well. These are experiences that are easier shared than described.
So the lesson for riding today wasn’t about being comfortable; at the top of the passes it was in the 50’s and in Montrose it was 102. The lesson I got from riding today is to heed the signs that say falling rocks. I am sure you have seen this sign on the mountain passes and we look around and don’t think much more about it than the boulders tucked to the side of the road. Well, through the pass between Paonia and Redstone, this was the last pass as I was getting into Carbondale, there was a avalanche right in front of me. If I had been a couple of seconds faster it would have taken me off the road and into the canyon. I know that is a pretty dramatic statement but literally the mountainside gave away right in front of me. One moment I saw a car coming the opposite direction and the next the mountain slid into the road and a ball of dirt filled the air that was so dense I could no longer see through it to the oncoming car. I was at a complete stop for a good minute or two until the dust settled. The southbound lane was blocked with debris and my northbound lane had some scattered rocks on it (these rocks were way too large to ever want to run over with a truck tire let alone a bike yet I would not describe them as boulders). The benefit of being on the bike and not being swept away was I could pick my way through the blockage and continue my way to Aspen. It really didn’t freak me out or shake me up at all. I just thought that it would make an great addition to an already amazing adventure.
I am up in the air about tomorrow. I have 1300 miles on my body in three days. It is a lot for me and I am feeling it. My parents have shared their amazing place with me here in Colorado. I just may take the day tomorrow and clean the bike, wash some cloths, see Aspen and prepare for more days of riding! Sounds great, doesn’t it?

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy that you are having such a great experience, I am more greatful, through living in these technologically advanced times, and your ability to convey your experiences so vividly, I can share this experience. Can't wait till tomorrow, to see what happens next.Thanks. PEACE

    ReplyDelete