Saturday, June 5, 2010

So as I bake in the sun (a reference to being hot and uncomfortable for my college age followers who may require some clarification) in the ever increasingly hotter days of Phoenix I find myself daydreaming of my travel oasis. For someone who makes the claim of looking forward to just getting on my bike and going I sure have made of lot of plans and already have done some considerable preparation.
First of all, to keep my family’s ‘worry level’ to a controlled hysteria I have been directed by a few of my riding buddies to acquire the Spot II GPS locator to keep everyone informed of where I am and where I have been. I have attached a link of my travels on the top of this blog page. (Any points that show up before June 22 are purely random information as I experiment with the device). This device is a GPS transmitter that’s sends my location, either manually or automatically, to a receiving satellite which is monitored on the website. It does not require cell connectivity. I can also summons help if needed by just a push of a button.
Knowing I want to hit several national parks I also got on line to the National Park Service and purchased an annual pass. This will allow me to visit any of the national parks for the next 12 months. Between the Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion I should get my value out of it (not to mention not having to wait in lines at the park entrances).
Mental notes are plenty; pre-maintenance on the bike, things to pack, practice setting up my tent (lord knows how long it has been since I have done that), tools to bring, clothes, which helmet? Half, Full, Both? Bungies, flashlights, fire starters and the ridiculous list goes on. One would think I was a boy scout growing up. I can dispel that myth by sharing that I have not grown up and the boy scouts would have never let me join the little gang (besides, long khaki shorts and bandana ties are not my thing)
And then if I am committed to archiving my little trip I have potentially a barrage of electronic devices to bring along. This is a direct contradiction to what I was trying to get away from in my first posting of this blog. But I got to bring a camera. And how do I get picture onto the website without a laptop? How do I keep the laptop and camera charged? Technology is creeping into my trip. I guess I just have to embrace it. I just won’t shave on the trip so at least I can look the biker part if everyone ignores the clanking of the accessories hanging from my travel pack.
17 days and counting…

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy and be safe. I will enjoy watching your
    trip.
    Love you, Kay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip sounds amazing!!! With both the photos and blogs I felt like I was right there at times.
    Other than getting a bit wet, it seems as though it was a completely positive experience. So happy to have been able to share it with you.
    Much love,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete